Monday, April 30, 2007

Oh Yes!

There are exactly a hundred reasons that I can give why I havent blogged. After a lot of thought, I don't think its worth enumerating it here. Operating systems was one of them. Ok, I had to say it despite all my attempts. The semester's been long and hard. Debugging race conditions are more than hard, at least if you are doing it for the first time. Sometimes its just fatigue that gets you. Persistance does pay. Six weeks of toil to implement a pre-emptible, multi-threaded kernel. There was user level thread library before that and boot loader after. In summary, we implemented that whole stack. (Oh, I forget to mention a few device drivers)

I don't know if have the strength to live through the course again but, it was something worth living through. The stress, the elation, the satisfaction that comes at every stage after hours of typing code, staring at log files, re-running tests, debugging macros, ..the list goes on. Everyone looks in to the void sometimes. There is still sometime to go before I finish the course, but I thought I'll be prejudiced if I write the blog then (depending on my grade of course) - so i decided to do this now.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Rupsha said...

can totally identify with the feelings you described.... am planning to write on OS too.... totally worth it...

10:18 PM  
Blogger zoxcleb said...

those were crazy times... absolute madness... but you summed the overall fluctuations of feelings quite well...

and when its all done.. u can look back and smile.. its like someone said... with 410 and 213 we've written pretty much all the basic software for a system! and thats quite an achievement... :-)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Vish said...

ha ha .. its been a minute and already been read and commented :D

10:19 PM  
Blogger Rupsha said...

ha ha.. yeah... n interestingly both os partners attacked ur blog too at the same time.... but yeah.. will agree wid jeeps, u've summed up the fluctuations really well... :-)

10:20 PM  
Blogger zoxcleb said...

yeah well once the kernel is done, u realise how good u have become at time management ;-)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Vish said...

ha ha ... thanks ..lets finish the course first :D

10:21 PM  
Blogger zoxcleb said...

yup.. theres still time for that!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Adarsh Bhat said...

I'm glad you're having fun. :P

11:13 PM  
Blogger Vish said...

well, it was fun all the way!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home